Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hey guys, it's me again. I've been thinking about some things and I think I can share my thoughts with you on them, hopefully not in a roundabout way.

Firstly, I think I'm going to be OK, postgrad wise. It's certainly not the path I thought I'd be on, but that's what happens when you dive headlong into something, even if it's with the best of intentions. For what it's worth, I think I can walk away from all this with a lot more experience and knowledge of not just the subject matter of my research, but of the local academic system as well. And there's a lot of things that I'd like to help out in terms of fixing, system-wise. Maybe in the near future? Who knows, for now I'm just enjoying the ride and extremely grateful to everyone who's helped me along the way.

As for the other thing, I'm working on it. Rome wasn't built in a day, blah blah etc. But signs point to awesome.

Lastly, I'm putting the brakes on my blogspot blog. This may not come as much of a surprise, given my recent track record of posting here. If you are wondering why, well, I the best I can say about this is that I just kind of grew bored of the whole thing. I've been on Blogger for about 5 years now, and I think that's long enough, for this platform.

When I first started blogging here, my motivations were very simple. I was jumping on the bandwagon of the blogging scene, especially here in Malaysia, where it was just catching on. I thought with my proclivity towards self expression, it would be an easy thing to do. And it was, and continues to be, especially when I am genuinely interested in writing or sharing content. Plus, blogger at the time easily beat the crappy friendster platform (remember that one? Ha!). And it was definitely a bonus, during the first couple of years, when friends like Halian, Melor and Fareez were actively blogging and commenting was a regular thing between our blogs.

More importantly, blogging here was a really great outlet for me during my undergrad years. In retrospect, I think my generation was definitely lucky to be around when the Web 2.0 revolution was getting its running start. Things just sort of clicked into place back then. The environment in university was conducive in finding things to write about, either because of something that happened in class or with friends, or in my case, things that were related to debating. Think about it: in the last year or so of writing here, almost all the content was about music, movies or books; these were all things that happened independently of interaction with others or with the debate club. Maybe I had a loner streak, or maybe I just had less material to work with. The point is, it just got kind of stale, and I didn't do enough to add that spark to make things great again.

But it doesn't mean that I'll stop blogging altogether; the point that I want to make is that I think I've brought this blog as far as I could take it. And I want to start somewhere new. Somewhere, where I'll probably run it like I have here, but hopefully towards a more progressive direction, and one where I can be happy with the end result. I don't know if that means buying my own domain or starting on a different platform (maybe Tumblr?). But I am confident that it won't be on a (dot)blogspot url. So thanks for following me this far, and I hope once I've settled things at a newer, (hopefully) better site, you'll still be around.

Thanks for reading, and have a good day/week/month. Until I post here again.

No comments: