Thursday, November 6, 2008

R.I.P. Michael Crichton

The doctor-turned-novelist/producer/filmmaker passed away from cancer on Tuesday. I'll always love him for Jurassic Park and the Lost World, my two favorite Crichton books. I read Airframe when I was in matriculation, and reading it helped fuel my interest in aerospace engineering, funnily enough. Not that it was the deciding factor behind choosing my major, but it was cool that there was a book that dealt with design and air safety in such thrilling form. The Andromeda Strain's first few pages grabbed me with its tenterhooks of fear (I still can't get that creepy old man out of my head) and Eaters of the Dead was amazing. The Great Train Robbery was pure entertainment from end-to-end, and my goodness, Sphere was such a good read that I had to keep rereading it (this was during a time when I was in the habit of rereading books, when I was smaller. How come I don't do this anymore? Hm.) And Timeline was one of those books that I absolutely could not put down. That weekend just flew by.

The world has lost a master of contemporary literature. He was one of the quintessential American writers who pretty much everybody who have read his books could agree on; most of my friends and acquaintances have read at least one of his books and liked it, more have seen one or two of his film adaptations.

If you haven't read any of Michael Crichton's novels, any one of them would be a good starter. I'll miss looking forward to his next novel.

Rest in peace, and thank you.

2 comments:

Commodity Trading Account said...

thank you for all and rest in peace mike

Yem said...

True, true. Crichton was one of the good guys. I'll miss him....