Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - Impressions

In weaning myself off of my staple authors, I bought a lot of books I'd always been meaning to read, but never had the time to before. Among the authors I've checked out recently, including Kerouac and Marquez, Haruki Murakami stands out in terms of his extrememly personable style of storytelling. To paraphrase a nameless character from the above title, to start a book is an exercise in small sorrow, simply because you know that it's going to end. Unless it's a shitty book, then I wouldn't mind chucking it in favor of something else.

Anyway, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman is a collection of short stories, 24 in total. Each story takes about 15 pages or so, and they all have their own separate tones. Some are about loss, some verge on the spiritual and supernatural, but most if not all don't really have any morals at the end, nor do they actually leave you with any definite answers. Most of the time you're left wondering whether some of the characters made the right choices, or in some cases, you don't even know what those choices were, because they leave it ambiguous. All in all, I'm enjoying this book immensely, and since it's a bunch of short stories, I'm not in any rush to read through the whole thing immediately.

Hey, Wikipedia has an interesting piece on the introductory notes of the English version of the book! I don't feel like plagiarising them today, so just click here.

In graphic novel news, I bought a copy of Grant Morrison's The Filth, a turn of the century comic that I haven't read yet. So, if I feel like writing about that later, you'll know what I think of it. Also, I want to buy the Tameraire series of fantasy books sometime, but I can't find the first volume. Fuuck.

Whew! Long day of cleaning house. I am pooped.

No comments: