Sunday, September 7, 2008

Figure 8 was a breakthrough album for Elliott Smith. It was his first album recorded after being nominated for the Oscar for his songs in Good Will Hunting, and all of his tracks on this record are significantly different from XO, Elliott Smith, Roman Candle, etc. It was a style that seemed only to have appeared this strongly on Figure 8, making this album somewhat unique in his discography.

It's also the first Elliott Smith album I heard before falling in love with his music. So here is Son Of Sam. Shiva opens her arms now, to make sure I don't get too far...



Something's happening, don't speak too soon
I told the boss off and made my move
Got nowhere to go

Son of Sam, son of a shining path, the clouded mind
Couple killer each and every time

I'm not uncomfortable, feeling weird
Lonely leered, options disappear
But I know what to do

Son of Sam, son of a doctor's touch, a nurse's love
Acting under orders from above

King for a day

Son of Sam, son of a shining path, the clouded mind
Couple killer running out of time

Shiva opens her arms now
To make sure I don't get too far
I may talk in my sleep tonight
Because I don't know what I am
I'm a little like you, more like Son of Sam

No comments: