Thursday, July 3, 2008

These are albums which I absolutely recommend (mad props to my sis this time around)

Como Te Llama?, Albert Hammond, Jr.

Oh, man I have been waiting for this to come out ever since I heard he was making a second album, which was about six months ago, I think. 2006 was a better year thanks to Yours To Keep, something I turn to every once in a while. Albert shows a little more innovation this time around; the tracks have an overall harder feel to them, and the opening track actually has you thinking "Strokes!", which is kind of mellow when you think about it. First Impressions feels like eons ago by now. I'm just glad Albert Jr. still keeps his guitar hand busy (not an entendre!), and for a summer album, you can't go wrong with this one. More to come after I give this a few more listens.


Nighttiming, Coconut Records

This is an album for the Bright Eyes crowd, definitely. There's a lot of surprises in store in this album, though. The opening song, Ask Her To Dance, is actually just a taste, very slow and acoustic, but you're going to be rewarded for sticking through. Coconut Records is definitely an act to keep your ears open for, and Nighttiming is an enjoyable album, so get this. I will have more to say on this later on, maybe. Or not. Hm. One thing, though. Jason Schwartzman totally fucking rules! West Coast is the summer anthem of '08. That little hook is just too infectious.



Armchair Apocrypha, Andrew Bird

As Jasmine says, this is a guy who, after you hear him, you wonder why in the fucking hell you never listened to him before. This album was a revelation for me. I'm late to the party, but this is a crowd that's only too accommodating. This album gets repeat listens fo' sho'.







Noah And The Whale

These guys are probably going to be the "next big thing" in music circles, so I don't have too much to say that a lot of buzz makers are already saying. But, because I am me, I want to only say that if you like folk pop rock that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and compels you to hug every single asshole you bump into, you will like Noah And The Whale.

I like Noah And The Whale.

No comments: